When it comes to reversing the signs of skin ageing, Retinol also known as Vitamin A, is hands down the industry’s gold standard ingredient. It has the power to help accelerate skin renewal and reduce the appearance of wrinkles, fine lines and age spots for firmer, smoother and more evenly-toned skin.
But what many people don’t know about Retinol is that it is a highly-reactive molecule, meaning it can break down – and lose its potency – as soon as it is exposed to sunlight or air.
Some things to know before you begin using Retinol.
- Retinol is the only derivate of Vitamin A that will produce results immediately.
- Retinyl Palmitate, Retinyl Acetate & Retinyl Linoleate are weaker concentrations of Retinol but are a great starting point. (Results will take longer to see)
- Expect your skin to peel, this is due to the increased Collagen being produced in the skin, leading to smoother skin eventually, it’s at this point most of us give up on the retinol. Push through it, give skin at least 3 weeks to adapt to the new formulas.
- It’s an active product, expect to feel tingling or heat on the skin when you apply, this should subside within an hour of application.
- Retinol should only be applied at night time, using Retinol during the day will lead to burnt/damaged skin.
- SPF must be work during the day, ideally a natural mineral based SPF. We use & love Dermalogica’s SkinPerfect Primer or Jane Iredale’s PurePressed Base Mineral Foundation. Jane Iredale Pressed or loose bases are anti-inflammatory.
- Apply retinol on dry skin; studies show applied to damp skin can cause skin sensitivity.
- Give it time to work, at least 6 weeks to see results fully.
- You can use retinol around the eyes. Amazing results on wrinkles!
Microencapsulated retinol for maximum anti-ageing
Dermalogica, use advanced microencapsulation technology to help stabilise Retinol and ensure its maximum potency. This approach protects the Retinol from degrading as soon as it is exposed, enabling it to deliver superior results.
Microencapsulated Retinol also creates an invisible shield on the skin’s surface to help reduce moisture loss, which is critical for reducing the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines. You can find this technology in the following products,
Dermalogica Age Reversal Eye Complex
Dermalogica Overnight Retinol Repair
Customisable retinol to control irritation
Everyone’s skin reacts differently to Retinol. Some people experience temporary redness, flakiness, peeling and sensitivity because their skin lacks enough “retinoid receptors.”
Retinoid receptors are proteins naturally found in skin. They act like shuttles that carry and release retinoids (Vitamin A derivatives) into skin cells, triggering collagen production. Retinol – the strongest form of retinoid available without a prescription – is converted by skin enzymes into the even stronger form of Retinoic Acid, which is what causes the irritation.
Fortunately, the skin can build retinoid receptors with controlled exposure to Retinol. To help soothe and control irritation in the meantime, Dermalogica Overnight Retinol Repair and Overnight Retinol Repair 1% come with a unique Buffer Cream that allows you to customize the strength of the Retinol in each formula while your skin acclimates.
Ready for stronger anti-ageing results?
When your skin has acclimated to Overnight Retinol Repair, which contains 0.5% Retinol, it may be time to upgrade to Overnight Retinol Repair 1%. This clinical-strength treatment cream is ideal for dramatically smoothing and renewing more mature, aging skin.
Dermalogica Retinol Clearing Oil
High-performance night oil combines Retinol and breakout-clearing Salicylic Acid into one skin-soothing formula. Time-released Retinol helps reduce visible signs of premature aging. Salicylic Acid helps clear breakouts. Argan, Rosehip Seed and Golden Jojoba oils actively nourish skin.
Dermalogica Clearing Oil
Yonka Age Correction Time Resist Nuit – 50ml
This is perfect for skin sensitive to retinol as it contains a natural plant extract that will mimic the effects of retinol without any harsh effects.
In order to combat the appearance of the signs of aging, Yon-Ka has developped a unique and highly effective synergy of actives using the latest biotechnologies:
– Saponaria pumila vegetal stem cell to counteract the decline of the skin’s cells activity
– YOUTH ENERGY a lipoaminoacid complex fighting a major aggravating factor of skin ageing: “inflammaging”
– anti-fatigue and smoothing actives like euglena gracilis, Sacha Inchi oil and silk tree extract.
Night after night, the skin is nourished, smoothed, the signs of fatigue vanish and the complexion is glowing and radiant again.
Yonka Age Correction Time Resist Nuit