As we all know Ireland doesn’t bring much sunshine our way!
When it does that doesn’t mean but we can’t protect our hair from the UV rays that are out there. So let’s talk about some products and some ways to protect our hair from those UV rays.
UV protection for our hair is just as important as UV protection for our skin but we don’t give our lovely locks the same love and attention! UV protection for skin comes with a block or SPF from the sun, whereas UV protection for our hair is only a filter to reflect and detract those Rays from the hair strands there is no hair product that contains SPF!!!!
This is why it is so important when you are out in the sun that you use a filter protection or cover your hair while out enjoying it.
It will help to protect from moisture loss, drying sea salt, sand and those dreaded UV rays to name a few.
Here are a few different ways to protect your hair and maintain those luscious soft locks while enjoying the beautiful weather!
- Salt water, chlorine and pool chemicals can dehydrate and weaken our hair. Apply a leave in mask/ conditioner before entering the pool water to minimize or block any unnecessary chemicals from being absorbed by the hair. Rinse hair as soon as possible after swimming and voila!! not only is the integrity of your hair protected but you have shiny soft manageable hair.
2. When enjoying the beautiful sun and basking in its heat be sure to protect your hair from the UV rays that cause dehydration and color fade. Use a spray cream or lotion that contains UV filter they create a veil of protection over your hair to reflect UV rays and help prevent damage.
3. Tie your hair in a loose bun or braid, cover your hair and scalp for protection. Apply sunscreen on your parting and hairline where the hair is finer and sun damage can occur.
4. To prevent roughing up the cuticle when washing the hair, coat the strands with 2-3 drops of your favourite oil. Apply a moisturizing masque to balance moisture loss, tame frizz, add shine and lustre to your hair.
5. If you are blow-drying your hair make sure you use heat protection and keep going until its completely dry, as leftover moisture can cause frizz.
6. If letting your hair air dry, apply your favourite anti frizz product or oil, leave to dry or twist into a loose low braid.
7. Curly girls, try combing your hair before washing, then after shampooing apply conditioner but don’t comb, finger comb or brush through, just scrunch in with your hands and leave to dry for bouncy moisturized tame curls.
8. When curly hair is dry run your fingers through your hair to break up your curls instead of combing to prevent frizz.
9. Running your fingers through your hair breaks up curls and will make hair look frizzier,”